There are not many things we love more than our Thanksgiving pies — other than a slice of fabulous cake. Something about Thanksgiving always feels a little less structured with mountains of potatoes and rivers of gravy, and a dense and ultra-moist cake can make for a nice contrast. Plus, in praise of holiday cakes, we have a lovely little cake song for you that just may make your day.
Before we get to the recipes, we have to share with you an adorable little video that we came across recently. Even if you aren't super into the act of baking or eating cake this video is sure to put you in the baking frame of mind.
• 1 Nigella Lawson's Nutella Cake With Chocolate Hazelnut Ganache - The name alone insinuates a post-Thanksgiving nap, but if there's any time to give this one a try, it's the holidays!
• 2 Cranberry Cake - A fruitcake for non-fruitcake eaters that comes together in 10 short minutes.
• 3 Pumpkin Crumb Cakes - Bite-sized cakes that have a tender crumb and are perfect for the winter holiday season.
• 4 Apple Carrot Oatmeal Cake w/ Broiled Coconut Topping & Molasses Cream Cheese Icing - Although you won't want to be spouting off the name over and over when folks ask you what it is and if they can have the recipe, it's still worth the trouble and the ingredient list. Can you say yummo?!
• 5 Sticky Spiked Double-Apple Cake with a Brown Sugar-Brandy Sauce - Although this cake isn't as structured as its tiered brothers, it oozes rich fall flavors and we're pretty sure there won't be any leftovers, let alone crumbs to take home.
• 6 Lemon Olive Oil Cake: This lovely lemon olive oil cake has become a quick stape here at The Kitchn, and for good reason. Although it feels simple and plain, it packs in grownup subtle flavors that won't overwhelm your tastebuds after a large meal.
• 7 Cake Love's Chocolate Butter Cake with Pastry Cream & Italian Buttercream - This 3-way chocolate cake is the chocolate cake of all cakes. Even if the cake was eaten before the picture was taken, we're pretty sure you can grasp its intensity without the added visual.
• 8 How To Make an Oreo Cake - Holidays are all about comfort foods and Oreos for many are atop the list, even if you think they're made of evil ingredients. This recipe takes the cake, or does it make the cake? Either way, you decide!
(Images: See linked posts for full image credits.)