Between our new juicer and our intensified effort to curb food waste, we have been searching for good ways to use the leftover pulp from juicing. Though it tends to be dry and lacking in flavor, the pulp has lots of fiber and it seems a shame not to eat it.
The moisture content of the pulp varies depending on the juicer, so we imagine there would be some trial-and-error involved, but here are some interesting ideas and recipes.
1. Sweet cakes: There are a lot of carrot pulp cake recipe out there, but we're particularly drawn to this Carrot Pulp Cake with Maple-Orange Cream Cheese Frosting from Always Order Dessert.
2. Savory cakes: Vegtutor's vegan Carrot Cakes (Mock Crab Cakes) are made with fresh carrot pulp and brown rice.
3. Marmalade: From 1977, a recipe for Carrot Pulp Marmalade.
4. Muffins: Apple and carrot pulp go into this recipe for Carrot Apple Ginger Tea Cakes from Food Thinkers.
6. Dehydrator crackers: If we had a dehydrator, we'd be trying these high fiber Juice Pulp Crackers posted at Choosing Raw.
7. Pasta: Add carrot, kale, beet, or other types of pulp to spaghetti sauce or layer it into a lasagna.
We look forward to reading your suggestions in the comments!
(Image: Emily Ho)