Seasonal Sweetness: 7 Recipes to Make With Really Good Grapes
This weekend I had dinner at a fun new Japanese fried chicken restaurant in the suburbs of LA, and while I’ve been thinking about the perfectly crunchy and juicy chicken, what’s really haunting me is the memory of the Kyoho grape popsicle that concluded the meal. It was a purple, grapey punch to the mouth that reminded me, It’s grape season! Time to shove aside the soft, sad grapes of the rest of the year and take advantage of the best autumn has to offer.
Now is the time to look for dark purple, intensely flavored grape varieties like Concord, Kyoho and Thomcord at farmers markets and in the produce section of your local supermarket. Although they are a treat simply eaten out of hand, their deep color and robust taste makes for beautiful juices, jams, cakes and cocktails. (Most of these recipes call for Concord grapes, but you can substitute any similar variety that you find.)
Concord Grape Cornmeal Cake at Bon Appetit
7 Great Recipes With Grapes
- 1 Concord Grape Cornmeal Cake at Bon Appetit
- 2 Concord Grape Shrub at The Year in Food
- 3 Grape Focaccia (Schiacciata all’uva) at Food52
- 4 Concord Grape Handpies at Apt. 2B Baking Co.
- 5 Yogurt and Brown-Sugar Panna Cotta with Grape Gelée at Epicurious
- 6 Concord Grape Granita at Food & Wine
- 7 Concord Grape Caipirinha at The Kitchn
Do you have any favorite recipes with grapes?
(Images: Faith Durand; Romulo Yanes/Bon Appetit)