7 Hullers to Help with Your Strawberry Shortcake Dreams
A strawberry huller is one of those things you never think you need, until all of a sudden you’re stuck with the task of de-stemming an entire bushel of strawberries. Luckily, strawberry hullers are inexpensive and don’t take up much space, making them a useful tool to have in your kitchen.
Your options range from simple metal tubes to more complex push-button mechanisms, but any style will get the job done — and make your next strawberry shortcake that much easier.
1. Stemgem Strawberry Huller, $7.99 from Chef’n: In case you weren’t sure what it was for, this cute huller is shaped like a strawberry, and the easy button mechanism makes it a cinch to use.
2. Strawberry Huller, $2.99 from Bed, Bath & Beyond: An easy tong-like structure makes it super easy to pull the tops off strawberries.
3. Tovolo Strawberry Huller, $5 from Sur la Table: This huller’s pipe shape means that you can hull a few strawberries at a time, making it great for when you need to de-stem large quantities.
4. Trudeau Stainless Steel Strawberry Huller, $8.99 from Everything Kitchens: Trudeau’s version uses a stainless steel rod and a silicone head to push the core and stem out of the strawberry.
5. Strawberry Huller, $7.99 from OXO: OXO’s huller is easy to grip and removes the hull with a quick twist of the wrist.
6. Joie Stainless Steel Strawberry Huller, $6.66 from Jet: Different from the other hullers on the market, this option is shaped like a melon baller with a serrated edge to scoop the hull out of the strawberry.
7. StrawBerry BerryStraw, $8.95 from Amazon: Perhaps the simplest of the bunch, this huller is basically just a stainless steel straw. Simply push through the center of the berry to remove the hull and core.