7 Easy Ways to Decorate the Table with Burlap
Burlap is an inexpensive material that at once lends a seasonal color and texture to the holiday table. If you’re entertaining for Thanksgiving and are looking for some ways to add layers to the tabletop without spending a lot of money, check out these ideas:
- Table runner: Cut a length of burlap to make a table runner. You don’t even have to finish the edges if you want a literally rough-around-the-edges look.
- Placemats: If you’re going without a tablecloth, consider burlap placemats. This is an easy DIY that would be a great way to show off a rustic wood table.
- Votives: The naturally open weave of burlap filters light beautifully. Exploit that characteristic by wrapping plain glass votives with burlap strips.
- Napkin rings: These are a special touch and all it takes to make them is burlap and a paper towel roll!
- Printing: This is a little bit more involved, but print a seasonal motif on burlap. Then use it as a banner or a vase (images 5&6).
- Place cards: We’re not sure about actually using cut and frayed burlap as napkins, but they make a beautiful place card.
- Centerpieces: Burlap-wrapped tree seedlings make beautiful natural centerpieces. Plus, friends and family can take them home at the end of the celebration.