Have you ever added a Parmesan rind to your soup? Or V8? Have you ever wondered how to make better matzo ball soup? Or how to cool homemade soup quickly? Did you know that you can make a quick broth out of cheese? Or whip up vegetable stock in just 10 minutes? Do you know how to make egg drop soup, or broiled and bubbling French onion soup?
What's the secret to the most delicious soup you've ever had? It may just be in our collection today of soup tips, tricks, and smart secrets. Read on for these and more — 50 good ideas from our archives on making better soups in your own kitchen.
Homemade Stock for Soup
The best way to make a really delicious soup is to use homemade stock. Here are some basic tutorials on making great stock at home — and some unexpected shortcuts!
- How To Make Homemade Chicken Stock
- How to Make Vegetable Stock
- Make a Quick, Flavorful Vegetable Stock in Just 10 Minutes
- How To Make Chicken Stock in the Pressure Cooker
- Quick Tip: Make Cheese Rind Stock!
Soup Cooking Lessons
A few of our very favorite soups, step by step.
- How To Make Easy Chicken Noodle Soup
- How to Make Egg Drop Soup
- How To Make French Onion Soup at Home
- How To Make Croutons for Soups & Salads
Soup too salty? Or does it need just a little extra oomph? Try one of these tips.
- How to Avoid (and Fix) a Salty Soup
- 10 Simple Ingredients to Make Your Soups Even More Delicious
- Stir Some Greens into Your Soup
- Add V8 to Soup!
- Add Whole Stems of Thyme to Soups
- Flavor Soups with Cheese Rinds
- Save Shiitake Mushroom Stems for Soups!
- Use Tea Balls To Flavor Soup
- Change it Up: 5 Ways to Enhance Basic Chicken Soup
Get the Texture You Want
Creamy soups don't alway need cream!
- How to Make and Use a Slurry to Thicken Soup
- Use Yogurt for a Creamy Soup
- 7 Ways to Make Any Soup Creamier
- Decadent Soup Without the Cream: 10 Favorite Recipes
- How to Make Creamy Tomato Soup Without the Cream: 3 Brilliant Tips
- Quick Tip for Winter Soups: Save the Pasta for Last
Yes, you can start with a box or can and still have something deeply delicious and (almost) homemade).
- Quick Weeknight Soup? Use Canned Soups as a Base
- 9 Delicious Ways to Enhance Boxed Soup
- Lunch in a Hurry: 10 Ways to Dress Up Canned Soup
Pack, Store, and Freeze Soups
Take soup on the road! Tips for quickly cooling and freezing soup, including our best muffin tin tip, and the best soup containers we've ever found.
- How to Cool Soup Quickly with an Ice Paddle
- Muffin Tins: The Best Way to Freeze Single Servings of Soup
- Freezer Meals: 5 Simple Tips for Freezing Any Soup
- Quick Tip: Freeze Homemade Stock in Ice Cube Trays
- Weekend Getaways: Freeze Soup To Bring With You
- Turn Leftover Soup into a Dip
- The Best Lunch Containers for Soup: Glasslock Snapware Containers
- Take Soup to Work in a Canning Jar
Uh-oh — something went wrong. Learn from other cooks' troubles here!
- Why Does Soup Explode Out of My Blender?
- Soup Left Out Overnight: Is It Still Safe to Eat?
- Why Does My Split Pea Soup Turn Brown?
- What's the Secret to Good Matzo Ball Soup?
- Why Did My Chicken Soup Turn Into Jell-o?
- How Can I Make a Clear, Scum-Free Chicken Broth or Soup?
- How Do I Add Rice to Soup (and Store It For Later?)
- Can I Safely Preserve Homemade Soups?
- What Can I Substitute for Condensed Chicken Soup?
- How to Keep Creamy Soups from Separating in the Fridge?
Making soup means eating soup. Here are some fun ideas for sharing soup with others, like a soup party and soup swap.
- How to Serve Soup at a Dinner Party
- Table Manners: The Proper Way to Eat Soup
- How to Serve Soup at a Dinner Party
- 5 Tips for Hosting a Soup Party
- Soup Swap: Have You Tried It?
All right — those are our tips for better soup. What are yours? How do you make great soup at home? Any little tips or tricks you love to use?
(Images: See linked recipes and tips for full image credits)