A hearty bowl of chili is arguably my favorite fall lunch: it's filling, has a good amount of protein to keep you going, and is usually on the healthier side of things. Anne's Vegetarian Pumpkin Chili has me thinking of other unexpected ways to spruce up the classic bowl of goodness. The inclusion of squash and turnips seems so natural — what other flavor possibilities await?
Here are some of the more interesting ones I found in my search. It's interesting to note that a lot of the more unusual options are vegetarian or add in a new grain.
- Mushroom, Black Bean, and Quinoa Chili - The Unprocessed People
- Chickpea and Yam Chili - The Endless Meal
- Vegan Soyrizo and Sweet Potato Chili - The Pig and Quill (pictured above)
- Stout Chili - Frugal Feeding
- Slow Cooker Italian Chili - Amy Bites
Do you have any favorite, unexpected ways to upgrade your chili bowl? Let us know in the comments.
(image: the pig and quill)