I will always fondly remember the year I forgot to buy a turkey roasting pan until the morning of my Friendsgiving celebration. Fortunately it wasn't an official holiday so my husband was able to run out and get one from Target, but it's a great example of overlooking the obvious in all my holiday preparations.
My point? Don't be like me! If you're planning on roasting a turkey for Thanksgiving (or a chicken, or a roast, or really anything else big!) a proper roasting pan with a rack is a fabulous addition to your kitchen. From high (copper, ooh la la) to a seriously great budget option, here are five we love, on sale at Sur la Table right now.
High to Low: Thanksgiving Roasting Pans
- Mauviel M'tradition Roaster, $270: The ultimate splurge! A classic French-style copper roasting pan. Note that this does not come with a rack, so you'll have to spend even more to buy one separately.
- Demeyere Industry5 Roasting Pan, $160: I am a huge fan of Demeyere; their pans are well-weighted and super long-lasting. A splurge, but a pleasure to use every day.
- Sur la Table Tri-Ply Stainless Steel Roasting Pan, $111: A handsome mid-price option.
- Sur la Table Hard-Anodized Roasting Pan with Nonstick Rack and Bonus Lifters, $60: A solid price for a very solid and practical roasting pan. This is similar to the one I have personally and it has performed beautifully, including on the stovetop for gravy-making.
- Chicago Metallic Roasting Pan With Rack, $30: This is a small pan; it probably won't fit a full-sized turkey, but for those of you planning on a turkey breast it's a smaller, more practical everyday size.
Tip: Most of these pans (with the exception of the final option) are at least 16x13 inches — a standard size for your average 13- to 15-pound bird.