Whether you're buying these for your valentine or keeping them for yourself, here are five chocolatey treats we're currently crushing on. (They're a million times more special than those cheesy heart-shaped boxes you'd usually pick up last-minute at the drug store.)
- Rye Chocolate, $8 at Mast Brothers: If your relationship status is "it's complicated," your significant other might get a kick out of this complex chocolate bar. It's got caraway seeds, brown sugar, caramelized buttermilk, and Tanzanian beans for a deeply sophisticated flavor. Plus, that wrapper is totally frame-worthy.
- Seasonal Pick Pack, $28 for four 8-ounce butters at Banner Butter: It's small-batch, hand-churned butter! It's dark chocolate! Plus roasted cocoa nibs, cane sugar, and sea salt! Just imagine spreading some of this on a warm chocolate muffin. Or eating it right off a knife. What? We thought this was a judgment-free zone!
- Brown Butter Milk Chocolate, $9 at Fruition Chocolate: A lot of real chocolate-lovers turn their noses up at milk chocolate, but this bar is 43 percent cacao and features browned butter, which adds deep caramel and nutty flavors. (We're particularly partial because the small-batch, bean-to-bar workshop is located in the nearby Catskill Mountain in Upstate New York.
- Kissed Mermaids, $9.50 at Xocolatl Chocolate: Because mermaids are just as cool as unicorns. This bar is made with coconut milk, which adds a special richness and depth of flavor without tasting like coconut. It also has the hallmarks of milk chocolate (smooth and sweet) with the bite of dark chocolate.
- Flat White Chocolate Bar, $6.50 at Mouth: Give your favorite coffee date one of these chocolate bars — it pairs organically grown coffee beans with white chocolate. Bonus: It's much easier to carry around than a hot cup of joe.
Are there any fancy chocolates you're currently sweet on? Tell us in the comments!