4 New Grilling Cookbooks to Kick Off Your Backyard BBQs
With Memorial Day behind us, it is officially open season for flip flops, hammock-naps, and oh yes!, backyard grilling. If you’re looking for some new inspiration for your grill this summer, we have four new books that will surely do the trick: Bobby Flay’s Grilling Addiction, a giant grilling treatise from Bon Appétit called simply The Grilling Book, a journey through real Texas barbecue in The Prophets of Smoked Meat, and finally, 100 Grilling Recipes You Can’t Live Without. Let’s take a look!
Bobby Flay’s Barbecue Addiction
- Who wrote it: Bobby Flay
- Who published it: Clarkson Potter
- Number of recipes: About 150
- Recipes for right now: Pisco Sour Sangria, Grilled Shaved Asparagus Pizza, Brown Sugar-Rum Grilled Sweet Potatoes, Smoked Ginger Chicken, Slow-Smoked Pork Shoulder, Oaxaca Burgers, Grilled Lobster Tails
- Other highlights: Covers everything from quick-grilled burgers and kebabs to authentic slow-smoked pulled pork, plus a wide variety of barbecue-worthy sides and cocktails. Lots of inspiration pulled from world cuisines.
The Grilling Book
- Who wrote it: Bon Appétit, edited by Adam Rapoport
- Who published it: Andrews McMeel
- Number of recipes: Over 300
- Recipes for right now: Tandoori-Style Chicken Thighs, Garlic Mojo Hot Dogs, Caveman Porterhouse, Tacos al Pastor, Fennel-Crusted Tuna, Rosemary-Skewered Scallops, Grilled Polenta Squares, Sausage and Fig Pizza
- Other highlights: If you are looking for that one grilling book to rule them all, this is it. The emphasis is more on grilling (quick-cooking) than barbecuing (slow-cooking), but there are a few smoked and slow-cooked recipes in here. Lots and lots of tips also help you up your grilling game. One drawback: nowhere are all the recipes listed, and since there are over 300 of them here, that can make it hard to quickly find a recipe for dinner.
The Prophets of Smoked Meat
- Who wrote it: Daniel Vaughn
- Who published it: HarperCollins, an Anthony Bourdain Book
- Number of recipes: n/a
- Recipes for right now: n/a
- Other highlights: This is barbecue — authentic, slow-cooked, smoke-infused barbecue. You won’t find any recipes in here, per se, but you will most certainly find a treasure trove of information and inspiration for your own slow-cooked adventures. Vaughn travels across Texas to interview veteren pit masters and learn their secrets — and then to share them with us. Beautiful photographs.
100 Grilling Recipes You Can’t Live Without: A Lifelong Companion
- Who wrote it: Cheryl and Bill Jamison
- Who published it: Harvard Common Press
- Number of recipes: 100
- Recipes for right now: Margarita Shrimp, Fired Onion Flatbread, Rosemary and Mint Lamb Burgers, Texas Fajitas, Chipotle Chicken Tacos, South Seas Baby Backs, Chicken under a Brick, Basil-Scented Salmon, Glistening Eggplant, Gooey Good S’mores, Pina Colada Pineapple Spears
- Other highlights: Simple and straightforward, this book is a great place to start if you’re new to grilling and want a solid collection of recipes and advice without all the splashy fireworks of these other books. These recipe will serve you well from a simple family dinner all the way to a big neighborhood blow-out.
Find these book at your local library, independent bookstore, or Amazon:
- Bobby Flay’s Barbecue Addiction by Bobby Flay
- The Grilling Book from Bon Appétit
- The Prophets of Smoked Meat by Daniel Vaughn
- 100 Grilling Recipes You Can’t Live Without: A Lifelong Companion by Cheryl and Bill Jamison
Apartment Therapy Media makes every effort to test and review products fairly and transparently. The views expressed in this review are the personal views of the reviewer and this particular product review was not sponsored or paid for in any way by the manufacturer or an agent working on their behalf. However, the manufacturer did give us the product for testing and review purposes.
(Images: Emma Christensen)