Somewhere along the line, the sandwich got defined as lunch food. That's a shame, because if you stuff good bread with enough hearty, flavorful things, a dinner sandwich can be the best meal of all. Maybe it's something as simple and satisfying as a grilled cheese stuffed with juicy slices of tomato, a hot and indulgent French dip, or a cold sandwich piled high with deli meats and cheeses.
We rounded up our 25 most favorite sandwiches that fit the bill for the evening meal — utensils not required, but you may definitely need a napkin or two.
Stuff beef, pork, turkey, or chicken between two slices of bread, and whether it's a hot or cold sandwich, you know that you've got a hearty meal in your hands.
- Apple, Cheddar, and Chicken Melts
- Ranch Chicken Wraps
- How To Make Slow-Cooker French Dip Sandwiches
- Cuban Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Italian Chicken Salad Sandwiches
- Weeknight Philly Cheesesteak Sandwiches
- Naan Wraps with Homemade Cucumber Raita
- Sirloin Steak Sandwiches
- Roasted Red Pepper, Chicken & Mozzarella Sandwich
- Slow Cooker Ranch Chicken Sandwiches
Fish and Shrimp Sandwiches
Fish fillets, canned tuna, and shrimp like to play the sandwich game, too, and they do it exceptionally well.
- Brown Butter Lobster Rolls
- Tuna Melts with Olive Oil Mayonnaise & Parmesan
- Smoky Salmon BLTs
- Shrimp and Avocado Po' Boys
- Vietnamese-Style Shrimp Po' Boy
Vegetarian and Vegan Sandwiches
Or, if you'd prefer to keep things meat-free, there are plenty of options that satisfy. Keep the cheese in the situation to please the vegetarians or cut it to make it vegan-friendly.
- Garlicky Broccoli Subs
- How To Make the Best Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- Mozzacado Sandwich
- Pesto and Egg Baguette Sandwich
- Bánh Mì with Lemongrass Tofu
- Vegan Sourdough Portobello Mushroom Sandwich
- Boiled Egg, Seared Asparagus & Pickled Onion Sandwich
- Cheesy Vegetable Melts
- Apple, Brie, and Dijon Baguette Sandwich
- Summer Vegetables Sub Sandwich with Garlic Cream Cheese