Arm yourself with a humble can of chickpeas and you've got the makings for everything from a creamy dip to hearty meat-free mains. They are so wonderfully versatile. You can roast chickpeas and add them to salads, use them as a substitute for croutons in soups, or turn them into a simple snack with big flakes of sea salt.
There is nothing the mighty chickpea can't do. These 25 recipes prove it, and will convince you to always have a couple of cans stashed away in the pantry.
Appetizers and Snacks
There's no shortage of ways to turn chickpeas into a meal, but they also make a totally tasty (and filling!) snack, whether you roast them, blend them into a creamy dip, or bake them into a sweet treat.
- Honey Roasted Chickpea Butter
- How to Make Crispy Roasted Chickpeas in the Oven
- How To Make Hummus from Scratch
- Chickpea Blondies
Protein-rich chickpeas are always a good idea for bulking up simple salads, but don't forget that they're really great on their own. Make chickpeas the star of the recipe and you have an instant meal-worthy salad on your hands.
- Chopped Chickpea Salad
- Roasted Carrot and Chickpea Salad
- Tomato Chickpea Salad
- Chickpea, Barley, and Zucchini Ribbon Salad with Mint and Feta
- Chickpea Salad with Red Onion, Sumac, and Lemon
- Mediterranean Cauliflower Couscous Salad
- Mediterranean Freekeh Salad with Collard Greens and Chickpeas
Soups and Sandwiches
Here's a trick for when you're using chickpeas for a sandwich or wrap: Mash about half of them with a fork (or in the food processor) and keep the remainder whole. The mixed texture is great, and it makes your meal less messy.
- Vegan Chickpea Noodle Soup
- Slow Cooker Golden Chickpea Soup
- Alice Waters' Chickpea and Broccoli Rabe Soup
- Scrambled Chickpea and Spinach Pitas
- Chickpea and Cheddar Quesadillas
This lineup of wholesome and hearty meat-free mains shows you just how versatile chickpeas really are.
- Moroccan-Spiced Chickpea Bowls
- Chickpea Casserole with Lemon, Herbs, and Shallots
- Honey Harissa Chicken and Chickpeas
- One-Pot Tomato Chickpeas and Orzo
- Feta and Tomato Braised Chickpeas
- Sweet Potato-Chickpea Patties with Sriracha-Yogurt Dip
- Vegan Slow Cooker Chickpea Tikka Masala
- Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew
- Chickpea Nuggets
What are your favorite recipes that involve chickpeas? Anything unique or unusual?