We always hear about breakfast for dinner (of which I am a big fan), but I'm also a fan of lunch for dinner (I guess I just like to mix things up!). In particular, I often make myself a nice hearty sandwich, especially when I'm eating solo. Why? Besides being one of my favorite things, sandwiches are quick and unfussy and obviously can easily be portioned just for one. And layering on all those flavors and textures, making it up as I go along, is just plain fun.
In this roundup, we've got classic clubs, variations on grilled cheese, wraps, ginormous sandwiches for a crowd, and sandwiches with a meaty emphasis. Basically something for everyone and more.
Classic Sandwiches, with Variations
Here we explore those sandwiches that are tried and true, along with the occasional new approach — just to keep things interesting.
- Cuban Medianoche Sandwiches
- Sirlion Steak Sandwich
- Turkey and Brussels Sprouts Club Sandwich
- The Perfect Tuna Salad
- Baked Fish Fillet Sandwiches
- Hot Brown Sandwich
- Curried Egg Salad on Naan
- Shrimp and Avocado Po' Boys
- Ham Welsh Rarebit
Hearty Wraps and Pitas
Sliced bread is not the only way to make a sandwich. Here we find our sandwiches wrapped in all manner of things and stuffed with hearty fillings to satisfy.
- Ranch Chicken Wraps
- How To Make the Best Falafel at Home
- Salmon and Kale Caesar Wraps
- Mediterranean Chickpea and Feta Wraps
- Roasted Sweet Potato Wraps with Caramelized Onions and Pesto
Twists on Grilled Cheese
We love grilled cheese! And there are so many ways to express this emotion that go well beyond the usual cheese on bread in a skillet.
- Cheesy Vegetable Melts
- Pimiento Grilled Cheese
- Apple, Cheddar & Chicken Melts
- Caprese Grilled Cheese
- How To Make the Best Tomato Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Large Sandwiches to Feed the Whole Gang
Sometimes your dinner sandwich isn't a solo affair. Sharing a large sandwich sliced into thick segments is fun for a family meal or when a few friends are joining you for dinner.
- Smoked Turkey Sandwich for a Crowd
- Pan Bagna
- Caprese Sandwich for a Crowd
- Garlicky Broccoli Subs
- How To Make a Sandwich for a Crowd
Some people need a big serving of meat for dinner or they just don't feel like they've been properly fed. These sandwiches are meaty and hearty and will hit the spot with your favorite carnivore.