We love lentils here at Kitchn. They are magically easy to cook on the stove, and versatile enough to go into a wide range of cuisines. Plus, they are quick. What more could you ask for when preparing a weeknight meal? But before you limit yourself to the tried-and-true lentil recipes you know, think outside the box and try one of these 25+ recipe ideas that deliver on delicious.
These protein-packed pulses are always a good idea for bulking up salad into a meal that's guaranteed to be filling. Use them as the base of your salad, partner them with toothsome grains, or mix them in with your favorite greens. You can even use them in place of beans.
- Warm Bulgur and Lentil Salad with Roasted Shrimp
- Cold Lentil Salad with Cucumbers and Olives
- Warm French Lentil Salad with Bacon and Herbs
- Baked Red Lentil Falafel Salad
- Thanksgiving Lentil Salad (not just for Thanksgiving!)
- Colorful Lentil Salad with Walnuts and Herbs
One-bowl meals are one of my favorite things to keep in constant rotation in my meal plan. Sometimes it follows a recipe, like the ones below. Other times it's a mix of rice, lentils, roasted veggies, and maybe a handful of greens or an egg.
- Roasted Cauliflower & Lentil Bowl with Sweet Potato Hummus
- Brown Rice Bowls with Lentils, Caramelized Onions & Fried Egg
Soup, Stew, and Chili
No matter what kind of lentils you have hanging out in your pantry, know that one of the easiest ways to put them to work is in a simmering pot of soup, stew, or chili. More firm brown and green lentils will deliver a bowl with a more toothsome bite, while red and yellow lentils will soften with added heat and time.
- Slow-Cooker Vegan Lentil Chili
- Easy Slow Cooker Lentil Soup
- Chicken Lentil Soup
- How to Make the Best Lentil Dal at Home
- Fridge-Clearing Lentil Soup
- Red Lentil Sweet Potato Soup
- Lentil Dal with Hearty Greens
- Red Lentil Soup
- Ethiopian-Style Spinach & Lentil Soup
Other Savory Lentil Meals
Lentils have a satisfying meatiness and incredible versatility that make them such a great starring ingredient in dinner. From braises and casseroles, to egg bakes and our own version of a hot pocket, this lineup includes some of my favorite lentil dinner options.
- Tomato-Braised Lentils with Broccoli Rabe
- Cheesy Lentil, Mushroom & Rice Bake
- Lentil, Mushroom & Sweet Potato Shepherd's Pie
- Spiced Lentils with Egg
Spiced Lentil, Sweet Potato & Kale Whole Wheat Pockets
- Lettuce Cups with Red Pepper Lentils
- Honey-Roasted Sprouts with Lentil-Quinoa Pilaf
- Braised Lentils and Leeks
- Spicy Lentil Wraps with Tahini Sauce