When you're at a loss for what to make for lunch, there are a handful of recipes you can always rely on. These classic lunch recipes — including the beloved grilled cheese or chicken noodle soup — have simple ingredients and come together relatively quickly. If you know variations on these 25 recipes, you'll never be stumped on what to eat for lunch again. These are the recipes you should know by heart.
Let's take a minute to reconsider the perfect tuna salad sandwich, a no-fail black bean soup, and a satisfying Greek chicken salad. How many of these lunch recipes do you think you could make with your eyes closed?
It helps to know some of these recipes by heart, but some are better thought of as guidelines. You might not need to memorize our kale and quinoa salad (although it really is delicious), but having a recipe for a sturdy green salad with grains in your back pocket is essential.
Most of these recipes are great for taking to work or school. A handful of them need to be reheated — including the soups and freezer-friendly options — but the sandwiches and salads, for the most part, can be eaten as is.
What are the classic lunch recipes that get you through the week? Let us know in the comments.
25 Lunch Recipes to Know by Heart
- Apple, Brie, and Dijon Baguette Sandwich
- The Perfect Tuna Salad
- Mozzacado Sandwich
- Mediterranean Veggie Pita Sandwich
- How To Make Classic Egg Salad
- Whole Wheat Peanut Butter & Jelly Pockets
- Tuna & Cucumber Quinoa Salad with Honey Mustard Vinaigrette
- Light & Easy Broccoli Salad
- Greek Chicken Salad
- Spring Grain Salad with Asparagus & Meyer Lemon
- Kale & Quinoa Salad with Dates, Almonds & Citrus Dressing
- Tortellini Salad with Figs, Walnuts, Prosciutto & Greens
Freezer-Friendly Lunch Recipes
- How to Make Freezer Club Sandwiches
- Roasted Sweet Potato Wraps with Caramelized Onions and Pesto
- Freezer-Friendly Roasted Vegetable Burritos with Black Beans and Rice
- Spiced Lentil, Sweet Potato & Kale Whole Wheat Pockets
- How To Make a Foolproof Quiche
- How To Make a Grilled Cheese Sandwich
- How To Make the Best Cheesy Quesadillas
- Cuban Sandwich
- How To Make One-Bowl Microwave Macaroni and Cheese