If you're itching for a vacation, we'd like to suggest Greece. Don't worry about the airfare, though — it's possible to get whisked away to the balmy Mediterranean without even leaving your kitchen. The most famous flavors of Greece — tangy feta, colorful vegetables, peppery olive oil, loads of fresh herbs — are so distinctive that bringing them to the table is a trip in itself.
We rounded up a slew of Greek and Greek-inspired recipes to get you on your way to a sunny culinary adventure.
Greek Soups, Salads, and Vegetables
For some people, Greek salad might be the first thing that comes to mind when they think of Greek food. For others, it might be the comforting, extra lemony avgolemono soup. Regardless, it's no doubt that soups, salads, and veggie-centric dishes are an important part of the cuisine.
- How To Make Greek Egg and Lemon Soup (Avgolemono)
- Spinach and Lemon Soup with Orzo
- How To Make the Best Diner-Style Greek Salad
- How To Make Classic Greek Vinaigrette
- Greek-Style Tuna Salad
- Greek Panzanella
- How To Make Greek Salad in a Jar
- Greek-Style Braised Green Beans
- Herbed Smashed Cucumbers
Chicken Dinners by Way of Greece
Chicken is on the dinner roster for so many of us on a weekly basis. Giving the usual meal a Greek flair allows it to be a whole lot more interesting and fun.
- Sheet Pan Chicken Souvlaki
- How To Make Greek-Style Lemon Chicken and Potatoes
- Yogurt-Marinated Chicken & Creamy Greek Sauce
- Feta-Brined Chicken Breast with Rosemary
Hearty Pasta Dishes Inspired by Greece
Pasta doesn't just hail from Italy — there are a handful of classic pasta dishes that are Greek, like the baked casserole pastitsio. With plenty of lemon, oregano, and feta, these recipes are bright and sunny.
- Roasted Lemon Oregano Shrimp
- Greek Chicken Pasta with Olives and Feta
- Deep-Dish Pastitsio
- Greek Pasta with Lamb, Zucchini, and Feta
Savory and Sweet Pastries from Greece
Another famous Greek dish is spanakopita, the savory pastry that's filled with spinach and feta. We can hardly get enough of it, but we feel the same way about baklava, too.
- Chard and Feta Phyllo Bundt
- How To Make Classic Spanakopita
- One-Bowl Yogurt and Honey Olive Oil Cake
- How to Make Baklava
Get your fix of Greek flavors first thing in the morning with a couple of egg dishes that incorporate all those great vegetables and, more importantly, salty feta cheese.
Greek Sauces and Condiments
Cool, creamy tzatziki is another staple that's well-loved as both a condiment and dip. Feta salsa isn't exactly authentic, but we love it just the same, as it's good with just about everything.