Do you get stumped for good lunch ideas, falling back on the same unsatisfying sandwiches and cans of soup? So do we. So let's talk about some fresh options, like a grain salad tossed with creamy bits of avocado, and whole wheat wraps filled with sweet potatoes. We have a whole month's worth of work-week lunches up for grabs today — which one will you be making first?
These lunch recipes fall into two categories: those you can assemble quickly using just a few ingredients, and those that make one big batch that will feed you all week long. The "quick-to-assemble" lunches, like wraps and salads, can be made even easier by making sure all the ingredients are prepped ahead: greens washed and dried, raw veggies chopped, and so on. Make the big-batch recipes, like soups and grain salads, on Sunday afternoon and pack them away into single-serving containers that are easy to grab and go.
We also know that everyone has very different needs when it comes to their lunches: ones that need to keep unrefrigerated, ones that don't need reheating, ones that can be eaten with one hand while grading papers at your desk. We've included a good variety here so there's something for everyone. If you feel like you need something a little more to round out your lunch, think about adding a hard-boiled egg (good with grain salads!) or a handful of crackers (good with soups!).
What are your favorite make-ahead lunches?
Diana Henry's Crazy Salad
- Chicken and Veggie Pesto Salad
- Golden Quinoa Salad with Lemon, Dill & Avocado
- Kale Salad with Apricots, Avocado, and Parmesan
- Colorful Lentil Salad with Walnuts and Herbs
- Wheat Berry Salad with Blood Oranges, Feta & Red Onion Vinaigrette
- Roasted Eggplant Salad with Smoked Almonds & Goat Cheese
- Yogurt & Dill Chicken Salad
- Sweet Potato Wraps with Caramelized Onions and Pesto
- Spicy Lentil Wraps with Tahini
- Pita Pockets with Crunchy Romaine, Roasted Beets, Chicken & Manchego Cheese
- Apple, Arugula, and Chickpea Wraps
- Farmer's Lunch Sandwich
- Scrambled Chickpea and Spinach Pitas
- Roasted Broccoli and Cheddar Soup
- Chicken Lentil Soup
- Cuban Black Bean Soup
- White Rotisserie Chicken Chili
- Mushroom and Barley Soup