Next time you wander through the produce section to pick up some dates (yes, that is the best place to find them at the grocery store!), you might want to grab a few extra. This fruit has a deep, caramel-like flavor that makes everything from smoothies and energy bars to salads and cookies even sweeter. Here are 20 recipes that show you how to harness the sweetness of dates in almost any kind of dish.
Dates come with a blissful natural sweetness that can make smoothies feel like an after-dinner treat. They're also full of fiber, which makes your morning smoothie a little more filling.
- Banana Bread Smoothie
- Vegan Chocolate-Date Smoothie
- Banana-Date Smoothie
- Creamy Orange Date Smoothie
- Chocolate Coconut Avocado Smoothie
Yes, dates have a very welcome place in salads. They bring a caramel-like sweetness and a toothsome, chewy texture the same way dried cranberries do. Consider this line-up below a jumping-off point for future salad inspiration.
- Orange, Almond & Date Salad
- Kale & Quinoa Salad with Dates, Almonds & Citrus Dressing
- Endive, Fennel and Parmesan with Anchovy Date Dressing
- Wild Rice and Mixed Greens Salad
- Golden Quinoa Salad with Radish, Dill & Avocado
Of course you can snack on dates out of hand, but if you find yourself with a surplus, why not dress them up a bit?
- How To Make Bacon-Wrapped Dates
- Paleo Bacon Date Bites
- Medjool Date and Apple Charoset
- Bacon-Wrapped Dates Stuffed with Almonds
- Peanut Butter & Chocolate Energy Bars
From grain-free pie and tart crusts to caramel candies and cookies, there's a lot that dates can do to sweeten desserts. Here are a few ideas to get you started.