Soup is my favorite thing to eat this time of year, but it's not always enough to make a complete meal. Sandwiches and big salads are great additions, but sometimes I want soup to be the star of the hour. That's where these 20 side dishes come into play.
Your side dish of choice, of course, is going to depend on the type of soup you're making. If you have a relatively smooth soup, like tomato, you might want something with great chewy texture like a grain salad. If your soup calling leads you to a turkey tortilla number, then maybe you want to take it easy with pan-seared butternut squash. The choice is yours, dear friend.
I cannot think of a soup that doesn't partner well with a simple side salad. While the soup simmers on the stovetop, round up some greens and whatever bits and bobs of vegetables are hanging out in the crisper.
- Weeknight Winter Salad
- Jersey Salad
- Arugula & Fennel Salad with Lemon Vinaigrette
- Spinach Salad with Warm Brown Butter Dressing
- Tomato and Feta White Bean Salad
Whether you go for something roasted or a pan of hearty braised greens, these sides satisfy your need to get an extra dose of veggies on the table and guarantee you have a totally warming meal ahead of you.
- Braised Bacon and Kale
- Fiery Kale with Garlic and Olive Oil
- Garlicky Roasted Broccoli
- Roasted Green Beans with Harissa
- Spaghetti Squash with Ricotta, Sage, and Pine Nuts
When you want a dinner that's hearty as can be, potatoes are the answer every time. Up the ante on basic roasted potatoes with garlic or herbs, or bring on the butter for the most irresistible roasted sweet potatoes.
- Butter-Roasted Sweet Potatoes
- 3-Ingredient Garlicky Red Potatoes
- Roasted Potatoes with Bacon & Brussels Sprouts
- Rosemary Roasted Potatoes
- Grown-Up Tater-Tots
Bread, Rolls, and Biscuits
There are few things more satisfying on a cold winter night than mopping up a hot bowl of soup with fresh-from-the-oven rolls or biscuits.