If you're stuck inside on a snow day and you're a cook, most likely you'll be found in the kitchen, taking advantage of this windfall day to take on one of those bigger projects you can't seem to squeeze in under normal circumstances. Those homemade dumplings you've been meaning to make will finally see the light of day, or perhaps it's time to prepare a pot of robust beef stew to enjoy after a day of snowman building.
Satisfy yourself with a full day in the kitchen this winter — make croissants, freeze dumplings, master macarons. Even if you didn't stop by the store to stock up on supplies the day before, we still have a few recipes you can cobble together from basic pantry items to make the most out of this cozy day in the kitchen.
Big Project Soups and Stews
These soups and stews have a lot going on (several kinds of veggies to chop and prep, or perhaps an additional ingredient like dumplings), so they'll keep you close to the stove all afternoon — warm and toasty and in your element!
- How To Make French Onion Soup in the Slow Cooker
- Root Vegetable Beef Stew with Mushroom and Spinach Polenta
- Slow-Cooker Hearty Chicken Minestrone
- Braised Beef with Semolina Dumplings
- Slow-Cooked Bolognese Sauce
You're snowed in and you want to make soup, but you've got to keep it simple since you didn't stock up before the storm hit. No worries — these soups call for ingredients found in most pantries like canned tomatoes, potatoes, beans, and lentils. Use the extra time to apply a few mindfulness techniques to your cooking. You're not in a rush! Reap the benefits with a slower pace.
- 5-Ingredient Family-Friendly Baked Potato Soup
- Slow Cooker Golden Chickpea Soup
- Tomato Tortellini Soup
- Fridge-Clearing Lentil Soup
- Alice Waters' Chickpea and Broccoli Rabe Soup
Involved Baking Projects
Croissants are on many a fine cook's "I have to try it at least once" list, so why not on a snow day? If all that rolling and folding isn't for you, then try brioche or old-fashioned cinnamon-raisin bread.
- Sticky Lemon Rolls with Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
- How To Make Croissants
- How To Make Brioche
- Raspberry-Coconut French Macarons
- How to Make Cinnamon-Raisin Swirl Bread
Chinese-Style Dumpling Recipes
If you're a Chinese grandmother or my friend Lucy, you are probably laughing at the thought of making dumplings being an all-day project. But if you're like me, then making (and filling and pleating and frying) dumplings is no everyday affair.