Salads are amazing all year-round, but come summer, it's a whole different ball game. There's a bounty of fresh produce in peak season — it's salad's time to shine.
From classics you might not have tried at home yet, like French-inspired baked goat cheese salad and the perfect toss of strawberries and poppy seed dressing, to hearty dinners of red lentil falafel on greens and the ultimate BBQ chicken Cobb salad, here are 20 salads to make your summer complete.
If a lighter, fresher bite to eat is what you're after, then it's time for a really good salad. Go the traditional route with a spinach and strawberry salad, or try the path less-traveled with a lettuce salad with hot beef dressing (my favorite!).
Leafy Green Salads
- Garlicky Grilled Kale Salad with Grilled Bread
- Alice Waters' Baked Goat Cheese with Spring Lettuce Salad
- Spinach & Strawberry Salad with Poppy Seed Dressing
- Jeffrey Alford & Naomi Duguid's Lettuce Salad with Hot Beef Dressing
- April Bloomfield's Steamed and Raw Radish Salad with Kimchi and Sesame
- Kale & Quinoa Salad with Dates, Almonds & Citrus Dressing
- Bar Tartine's Chicory Salad with Anchovy Dressing
- Wild Rice and Mixed Greens Salad
Sometimes salads make a nice addition to your meal, and other times, the salad is the meal. Packed with hearty toppings and mix-ins, these salads know how to hold their own as the main attraction.
Salads Fit for a Meal
- Classic Salad Niçoise
- Baked Red Lentil Falafel Salad
- BBQ Chicken Cobb Salad
- Shrimp & Arugula Salad with Preserved Lemon Dressing
- Chickpea Waldorf Salad
- Classic Wedge Salad with Blue Cheese
Sometimes you just want a salad without greens. Plenty of salads are actually better off without them, like our perfect-for-summer tomato salad, a cold lentil salad, carrot salad tossed with spiced chickpeas, and a Mediterranean cauliflower couscous salad.