Keeping a few cans of coconut milk in your kitchen cupboards is just good common sense. While you can certainly use coconut milk in traditional ways, such as a base for the classic Thai soup tom kha gai or for curries, it is also delicious in easy side dishes such as whipped sweet potatoes or coconut rice. You can even use it in desserts.
Here are a few recipes to help you take advantage of one of the most delicious staples in your pantry.
Curries and Stews
A can of coconut milk is a classic way to add richness and creaminess to curries and other stews from all over the world.
- Kidney Bean and Coconut Curry
- The Easiest Thai Green Coconut Curry
- Coconut Chicken and Sweet Potato Stew
- Butternut Squash & Coconut Curry
Coconut milk also brings silkiness to soups, whether it's used traditionally in the Thai soup tom kha gai or just as a way to "veganize" creamy soups as a dairy substitute.
- Red Lentil Sweet Potato Soup
- How To Make Tom Kha Gai
- Heidi Swanson's Summer Squash Soup with Coconut Milk
- Thai Coconut Soup
- Curried Cauliflower Chowder
Main and Side Dishes
Coconut milk also has a place in other dishes besides curries. It can be used to bathe a whole roast chicken, for instance, or as a base for fluffy white rice.
- How To Cook a Whole Chicken in Coconut Milk in the Slow Cooker
- How To Make the Ultimate Vegan Mac and Cheese
- 30-Minute Green Curry Braised Salmon
- Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Coconut Milk & Vanilla Bean
- Braised Coconut Spinach & Chickpeas with Lemon
- Coconut Rice
Again with the creaminess! But there's no getting away from coconut milk's beautiful texture — especially in desserts.