There is really no better way to start 2018 on the right foot than with a solid breakfast spread on New Year's morning. Even when it falls on a weekday, there's no rush to get out the door, so I always take this opportunity to go beyond my usual oatmeal or yogurt and granola. My plan for this year is to start with something light, like a simple and tropical fruit salad, followed by a loaded frittata and crispy bacon from the oven.
Here are 20 of our favorite breakfast recipes to inspire your New Year's morning plans.
Smoothies and Fruit Salads
If you wake up feeling like you want something light, wholesome, and healthy-ish to kick off the new year, a refreshing fruit smoothie or fruit salad are always great ideas.
- Creamy Orange Date Smoothie
- Vegan Tropical Paradise Smoothie
- How To Make a Hearty Breakfast Fruit Salad
- Mango and Papaya Fruit Salad
Muffins and Scones
Why not ring in the new year with some easy baked goods? Muffins and scones are perpetual crowd-pleasers, require little effort, and, best of all, you can stash the extras in the freezer for the mornings you want a treat.
- Morning Glory Sweet Potato Muffins
- Savory Radish and Goat Cheese Muffins
- Fresh Cranberry Scones
- Freeze-and-Bake Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
Savory Egg Breakfasts
Eggs are my go-to choice when I'm feeling something savory. Save the basic scramble and soft-boiled eggs for next weekend. Take advantage of New Year's morning to make a loaded breakfast casserole, a frittata, or a runny-yolked egg sandwich.
- Spicy Kale and Sweet Potato Egg Bake
- Kale, Bacon & Egg Whole-Wheat Breakfast Sandwich
- Apple, Sausage, and Smoked Cheddar Breakfast Casserole
- French Onion Frittata
- Cheesy Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole
Pancakes are always a good idea, and that includes your first breakfast of the New Year. Want to make something that feels a little more special? A Dutch baby pancakes will always do the trick. If you're cooking for a crowd, these breakfast bakes are guaranteed to win over the whole table.
- How To Make a Dutch Baby Pancake
- How To Make the Lightest, Fluffiest Buttermilk Pancakes
- Orange-Maple French Toast Casserole
- Blackberry Croissant Breakfast Bake
Essential Breakfast Sides
No matter what you're cooking up, perfectly cooked, crispy bacon from the oven and some breakfast potatoes or hash browns always make great sides.