In months filled with root vegetables and soups of beans and lentils, it's nice to know you can depend on the seasonal citrus surge. When it's too cold or gray to think about going outside, Meyer lemons, blood oranges, and grapefruit will brighten your winter days.
From sweet recipes, like gorgeous lemon sticky rolls and blood orange cake, to savory recipes, like triple lemon fettuccine and an orange chicken stir-fry, here are 20 delicious ways to perk up your meal plan with citrus this week.
Citrusy Breakfast Favorites
It might still be cold and snowy outside, but these citrusy recipes are a surefire way to make your morning a whole lot brighter. Get a head start on breakfast with a batch of irresistible lemon swirly buns or scones, or add some oranges to your grocery list so you can whip up a creamy citrus smoothie.
- Sticky Lemon Rolls with Lemon Cream Cheese Glaze
- Citrusy Breakfast Polenta Cake
- Freeze-and-Bake Lemon Poppy Seed Scones
- Winter Citrus Compote with Yogurt
- Breakfast Sangria
- Creamy Orange Date Smoothie
Savory Citrus Recipes for Lunch and Dinner
Take this season to get acquainted with the savory side of citrus fruits. Oranges, grapefruit, and pummelo segments all welcome additions to salads and stir-fries, while sunny lemon instantly perks up a pot of soup or pan of meaty chicken thighs.
- Lemony Tortellini Spinach Soup
- Triple Lemon Fettuccine Alfredo
- Roasted Chicken Thighs with Fennel & Lemon
- Spaghetti with Mascarpone, Meyer Lemon, Spinach, and Hazelnuts
- Roasted Carrots with Orange
- Green Salad with Orange, Avocado, and Red Onion
- Orange Chicken and Kale Stir-Fry
- Pummelo, Fennel & Radish Salad
Oranges and lemons are a natural fit when it comes to dessert. Winter citrus has a sweet, tart, sometimes bitter flavor that makes it right at home in everything from cakes to bars and pies.