Wine and food pairings don't need to be as complicated as they are often made out to be. Sure, there are certain wines that work better with certain foods, but you don't need to overthink it too much. That's especially the case when it comes to pre-dinner snacks and sips. When you're easing into the evening, whether it's a dinner party with friends or a quiet Sunday on the couch, the best approach is the most causal approach: Pop open whatever you most enjoy drinking, be it white, rosé, red, or even bubbles, and snack on whatever you're in the mood for. These 20 appetizers work with just about any bottle of wine and I have a good feeling that at least one of them is what you're in the mood for.
It's hard not to love the pairing of wine and cheese. Salty cheese always likes to be washed down with something, and if that something happens to be your favorite bottle of wine, then you're looking at one good "Appy Hour."
- Caramelized Onion and Phyllo Tart
- Herbed Goat Cheese Polenta Bites
- Baked Ricotta with Lemon, Garlic & Chives
- Garlic and Herb Marinated Mozzarella Bites
- Tomato & Mozzarella Caprese Skewers
- Cheddar Olives
- How to Make Cheese Gougères
- How To Make Puff Pastry Cheese Straws
- Puffed Spirals with Leftover Greens
Sometimes nothing but something sprinkled with bacon or salumi will do the job as a pre-dinner nibble, and for those occasions there are these meaty snacks.
- Stuffed Peppadews with Salami & Parmesan
- How To Make Bacon-Wrapped Dates
- Polenta Toasts with Herbed Ricotta & Bacon
- Prosciutto-Wrapped Arugula
Other Tasty Bites
Bites like marinated olives, roasted nuts, and breadsticks are classic accompaniments to a glass of wine and work just about every time.