I have to be honest — this is the time of year I really look forward to most, when the bounty of summer produce gives way to fall's harvest. This shift brings a welcome change to my salad routine, with hearty ingredients like winter squash, shredded Brussels sprouts, and cabbage playing a starring role. As we move through fall and beyond, here are 18 salads you have to try.
If you love salad with plenty of greens and leafy ingredients, this lineup couldn't be more fitting for the season. Now's the time to move past delicate leafy salads for those tossed with hearty bases, like kale and radicchio.
- Radicchio Salad with Green Olives & Parmesan
- Roasted Squash and Arugula Salad with Pecans, Bacon, and Goat Cheese
- Broccoli and Kale Caesar Salad
- Vegetarian Kale Taco Salad
- Chopped Kale, Farro & Chickpea Salad
No-Lettuce Salads and Slaws
There is no better way to take advantage of the vegetables of the moment, like sweet winter squash, Brussels sprouts, cabbage, and cauliflower, than by making them the star ingredient of your salad. These recipes can hold their own as a meal or be served as a side.
- Roasted Delicata Squash Salad with Warm Pickled Onion Dressing
- Roasted Cauliflower Salad with Chickpeas, Feta, and Herbs
- Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon
- Carrot Tahini Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples, Hazelnuts & Brown Butter Dressing
These seasonal favorites are all meal-worthy picks, thanks to some extra bulk from crispy pork cutlet, seared flank steak, and tender carnitas.
- Schnitzel and Pear Salad with Wheat Beer Vinaigrette
- Warm Fajita Steak Salad
- Spicy Carnitas Salad Bowl
Start with a pot of hearty grains, like freekeh, farro, or barley, and a batch of roasted veggies and these made-for-fall salads come together in a snap.