Are you serving ham this weekend for Easter, or perhaps later on Mother's Day? Ham is an easy and savory main dish, and part of the pleasure of serving it is enjoying the side dishes that play well with its rich flavor.
Here are 18 side dishes that will go beautifully with your holiday ham. Potatoes are a must — we have classic scalloped potatoes for you, plus a perfect-for-spring gratin with potatoes, leeks, and fennel. Or you can lean lighter, with lemon-kissed asparagus or snap peas with Meyer lemon and mint. And of course you can't forget the biscuits (well, you can get away with rolls if you really prefer!).
First, Make Your Ham
Anytime I'm serving ham for Easter dinner, a side of scalloped potatoes or a creamy potato gratin is always a must. It's a crowd-pleaser that serves enough to feed to whole table. Alternatively, a simple batch of garlicky roasted potatoes always comes through when you need something in a hurry.
- How To Make Scalloped Potatoes
- Creamy Spring Vegetable Gratin with Grana Padano
- Potato, Squash & Goat Cheese Gratin
- 3-Ingredient Garlicky Red Potatoes
- Herb Garden Potatoes with Fresh Spinach & Lemon
- Roasted Potatoes, Radishes & Fennel with Lemon Brown Butter Sauce
Peas, Asparagus, and Other Green Things
Early spring vegetables, like asparagus and peas, along with spinach and green beans are all a friend to ham. No matter how you cook them up, these green sides add a light touch to the table.
- Lemon-Pepper Asparagus
- Creamy Spinach Bake
- Snap Peas with Meyer Lemon and Mint
- Lemony Green Beans With Almond Breadcrumbs
- Greek-Style Lima Beans
Not only will a salad made with hearty greens (like collard or cabbage) or one loaded with grains make for a nice side for your holiday dinner, but it's also a great option when you need a dish that can be made ahead of time.
- Toasted Farro Salad with Fresh Peas, Pea Shoots, and Herbs
- Spring Grain Salad with Asparagus & Meyer Lemon
- Collard Green Salad with Strawberries & Tahini Dressing
- Roasted Cabbage Slaw with Hazelnuts & Lemon
Rolls and Biscuits
I'm a firm believer that no holiday dinner is complete with rolls or biscuits. In fact, make a double batch so you can use the extras for post-dinner ham sandwiches.