The unofficial drink of 2016 was undoubtedly red wine hot chocolate. Although the concept has been around for quite some time, the internet at large only recently caught on last year. If you're not so sure of the idea, however, there are many other ways to indulge in boozy hot chocolate in the next few months. Basically any kind of booze and chocolate go together. Here are 18 recipes to get you started.
Make a rich drink with dark chocolate, cocoa powder, cinnamon, brown sugar, whole milk. And of course, red wine.
2. Whiskey Hot Chocolate from My Dish Is Bomb
The blogger behind My Dish Is Bomb describes what it's like to drink this boozy beverage: "At first sip, the whiskey is noticable immediately, but the hot chocolate flavour takes over your whole body and warms you up from the insides."
3. Red Wine Hot Chocolate from Imma Eat That
This is the red wine hot chocolate recipe that is taking over the internet. Make it now and understand why it's so trendy.
4. Kahlua Hot Chocolate from Damn Delicious
This is a great gift idea for the holidays. As the blogger behind Damn Delicious explains, "Simply combine the dry ingredients and throw them into a cute jar with a ribbon and you're set. It doesn't get easier, or cheaper, than that!"
5. Spiked Nutella Hot Chocolate from Kitchn
Wait, you haven't tried adding Nutella to your hot chocolate? You need to get on that immediately.
6. S'mores Hot Chocolate Cocktail from Sugar & Soul
How good does that marshmallow top look? This recipe gets the boozy factor from whiskey.
7. Coconut Cardamom Bourbon Hot Chocolate from Autumn Makes & Does
This hot chocolate is all about balance. It's the perfect mix between sweet, spicy, and boozy.
8. Hot Cocoa with Rum from Verily
The perfect companion for a Netflix binge.
9. Boozy Hot Chocolate with Vanilla Bean Whipped Cream from The Almond Eater
You might think the star of this recipe is the bourbon, but it's actually the homemade vanilla bean whipped cream.
10. Spiced Red Wine Hot Chocolate from Afternoon Espresso
This recipe goes beyond just adding red wine and hot cocoa together. It gets its spice from a pinch of cayenne pepper.
11. Pumpkin Butterbeer Hot Chocolate from Half Baked Harvest
Of course there is a Harry Potter boozy hot chocolate. Of course! This one has bourbon, by the way.
12. Broiled Bailey's Hot Chocolate from Amanda K. by the Bay
If you want next-level boozy hot chocolate, try using your broiler.
13. Boozy Orange Hot Chocolate from Momtastic
You know those chocolate oranges that are popular around the holidays? This is basically the boozy beverage version of that treat.
14. Mocha Mudslide Hot Chocolate from Lemons for Lulu
The blogger behind Lemons for Lulu describes this drink as a "rich and creamy, warm version of the popular mudslide cocktail!" Sounds about right.
15. Naughty Nice Coconut KahluaHot Cocoa with Spiked Eggnog Marshmallows from Half Baked Harvest
There is so much happening in this drink that I don't know where to start. You really don't want to miss out on those chocolate-dipped eggnog marshmallows.
16. Stout Hot Chocolate with Ice Cream from Floating Kitchen
I like the hot-cold thing going on with this drink. You warm the hot chocolate and stout together and then you pour it into a mug with a scoop of ice cream.
17. Boozy Pumpkin White Hot Chocolate from Minimalist Baker
This is like a mix between a Pumpkin Spice Latte, hot chocolate, and a cocktail. It sounds pretty perfect.
18. Alcoholic Hot Chocolate from Erinnish
This rich hot chocolate is spiked with dark rum, and is rounded out with honey, brown sugar, and vanilla extract.