Winter survival comes in the form of comfort food — the richer and heartier the meal, the easier it is to handle the cold. But we still need salad. In fact, with all those hefty stews and baked pastas, salads are imperative to keep things in balance. Here are 15 of our favorite winter salads that are fit for the season, from crunchy root vegetable slaws to simple greens that are made extra special with warm dressing.
Hearty Green Salads
If green salads are your style, take advantage of the tough, hearty greens that fill the market during the winter months. Try using kale, collards, and chard in place of the usual delicate greens and lettuces. They're readily available and also give salads more meal-worthy bulk. Sunny citrus and warm vinaigrettes are another favorite touch to give salad a seasonal spin.
- Kale Bistro Salad
- Grapefruit and Avocado Winter Salad
- Broccoli and Kale Caesar Salad
- Arugula, Pear & Blue Cheese Salad with Warm Vinaigrette
- Collard Green Slaw
- Spinach Salad with Warm Brown Butter Dressing
Do not discount winter produce for making truly amazing salads. The season comes with a bounty of super-hearty vegetables that make for fresh, flavorful meals that are full of texture. Now's the time to go beyond the greens to use more firm vegetables, like celery root, kohlrabi, and winter squash as the base for salads. Make any of the salads in this lineup more filling by topping with leftover chicken, or a couple slice of steak, tofu, or some smoked salmon or trout.
- Radicchio Salad with Green Olives & Parmesan
- Napa Cabbage and Tofu Salad
- Kohlrabi Bistro Salad
- Roasted Delicata Squash Salad with Warm Pickled Onion Dressing
- Quick Celery Root Salad with Capers and Lemon
- Bar Tartine's Chicory Salad with Anchovy Dressing
- Kohlrabi and Cabbage Salad with Maple Lemon Dressing
- Sicilian-Inspired Blood Orange Salad
- Shaved Brussels Sprouts Salad with Apples, Hazelnuts & Brown Butter Dressing