15 Tips to Help You Get the Most Out of Your Summer Tomatoes
Tomatoes are here, gloriously in season. Have you been stocking up on juicy tomatoes at the farmers market? Here’s a look back at some of our favorite tomato tips from our archives, including the best way to store tomatoes, the best tool for crushing them for sauce, and an extra-easy (and surprising) way to preserve them for winter.
What’s your favorite way to enjoy tomatoes in the summer? Got any smart tips or hints for getting the most out of them?
- The best place to store tomatoes to keep them fresh and juicy.
- How to store leftover tomato slices.
- Got cherry tomatoes? Here’s how to cut a lot of cherry tomatoes in half all at once.
- The best kind of knife for slicing tomatoes.
- How to ripen still-green tomatoes.
- Love green tomatoes? Here are some recipes for green tomatoes.
- The best tool for crushing tomatoes – you almost certainly have one already!
- The scientific reason why conventional tomatoes are often so tasteless. Buy heirloom!
- Tips for making the best tomato sauce you’ve ever had.
- A great way to preserve tomatoes for sauce: Freeze them!
- Why a wide pan is best for making tomato sauce.
- Broiled, roasted tomatoes: Here’s how to roast tomatoes under the broiler.
- Tips and encouragement to help you can tomatoes this summer.
- Peeling tomatoes? Freeze them first to make peeling them a snap.
- How to identify real San Marzano tomatoes.
(Images: Faith Durand; Sara Kate Gillingham-Ryan)