Sweet potatoes and I didn't use to get along. I thought they were too sweet, too associated with gummy Thanksgiving gratins. And then one day I was served a roasted sweet potato and when I dug in, reluctantly, I found it was a revelation. It yielded up crisp skin, and tender orange flesh that melted in my mouth. I ate every scrap and was suddenly converted to a sweet potato lover. Now I look for ways to pack them into every meal, but especially dinner. Here are 15 ways to eat delicious, nutritious, beautiful sweet potatoes for supper.
But before we plunge into more elaborate recipes, let's not forget the simplest and best way to eat a sweet potato: Roasted, and all by itself. This is such a simple and good dinner, especially if you do have a little something to add on the side &dmash; a green salad, a piece of chicken sausage. Here are some suggestions for making the most of a sweet potato:
And now — on to the recipes. We have 10 supper dish recipes here, plus 5 more that work better as side dishes or accompaniments.
• 1 Orzo with Caramelized Fall Vegetables and Ginger
• 2 Roasted Sweet Potato Wraps with Caramelized Onions and Pesto
• 3 Black Bean, Sweet Potato and Quinoa Chili
• 4 Sweet Potato, Ricotta, and Arugula Flatbread
• 5 Sweet Potato and Cornbread Hash with Veggie Sausage Gravy
• 6 Braised Coconut Spinach & Chickpeas with Lemon over a Sweet Potato
• 7 Sweet Potato and Tempeh Stew
• 8 Sweet Potato Soup with Miso and Ginger
• 9 Sweet Potato Gratin with Caramelized Onions
• 10 Sweet Potato Hash with Sausage & Eggs
• 11 Sweet Potato Biscuits and Maple Butter
• 12 Beet and Sweet Potato Stacks
• 13 Sweet Potato and Goat Cheese Bruschetta
• 14 Sweet Potatoes Braised with Rosemary and Milk
• 15 Chili-Spiked Sweet Potato Fries
What's your favorite way to eat a sweet potato for dinner?
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)