15 Snacks To Fuel Your Work Day
It may be 3 Square Meals month here at The Kitchn, but I have a confession to make: I actually eat five or six meals a day! A few years ago, I did away with lunch and replaced it with a series of smaller meals or snacks between breakfast and dinner. I certainly can’t speak for everyone, but for me it was a life-changing move that keeps my blood sugar balanced and my energy level up. Whether you follow a similar eating pattern or just need something to power you through an afternoon slump, here are 15 of my favorite small meals and snacks. What are yours?
• 3 Apples and peanut butter – Tasty and well-rounded!
• 4 Olives – Young, lightly brined olives like Castelvetranos are a great afternoon pick-me-up
• 5 Edamame – Protein-packed soybeans straight from the pod or in a salad of shelled edamame, olive oil, lemon juice, and herbs
• 7 Hummus – Something to dip those vegetables in; check out our homemade hummus tutorial
• 8 Fresh fruit – Seasonal fruit from blueberries to pears to clementines
• 12 Ricotta – Creamy, homemade ricotta drizzled with olive oil and eaten with bread or crackers
• 13 Trail mix – GORP (Good Old Raisins and Peanuts) or something fancier like these homemade trail mixes
• 15 Tea – For me, no snack is complete without a cup of tea; I keep a major stash of loose-leaf tea green, black, and herbal teas in my office drawer
(Image: Emma Christensen)