15 Non-Wimpy Salads to Take for Lunch
I didn’t realize quite how much we love our salads here on The Kitchn until I started sifting through all our recipes from 2013. Let me tell you: we like them a lot. And we’re not talking about wimpy pale salads with a few cherry tomatoes and goopy ranch dressing, either. We’re talking about salads like our Chopped Brown Rice Salad with Grapes and Pecans and our Radicchio Salad with Avocado, Red Quinoa, and Ricotta Salata — salads filled with colorful vegetables, crunchy textures, and bright snappy flavors.
These are salads that you could take to work and actually look forward to having for lunch. Add a poached egg or a chunk of baguette, and many of these could happily serve as a light dinner. It was hard to choose, but here are fifteen that you definitely need to check out:
- 11 Golden Beet and Barley Salad with Rainbow Chard
- 12 Warm Citrusy Millet Salad with Roasted Fennel and Kalamata Olives
- 13 Shaved Fennel, Roasted Tomato & Pistachio Salad with Yogurt Dressing
- 14 Farro Salad with Tomatoes, Cucumbers & Basil
- 15 Quinoa and Black Bean Salad with Orange-Coriander Dressing
* * *
Welcome to The Kitchn’s Best of 2013 roundup!
From December 21 through January 3 we are rounding up our favorite (and your favorite) posts from the past year. We’ll also share guest posts, special holiday features, and a sparkling Winter Glam Cocktail Party, the final installment in our 2013 Gatherings from The Kitchn. Happy Holidays!