My husband used to doubt that meatless meals would actually fill him up, but I knew otherwise. So to convince him, I rotated plenty of lentil-heavy mains into the meat-free night in our meal plan. These tiny pulses are packed with protein and fiber and lend a hearty, meaty texture to everything from soups and curries to braises and casseroles. Here are 15 recipes to make with lentils right now.
Soups and Chilis Starring Lentils
Add lentils to a pot of simmering soup or chili and you're well on your way to cooking a super-hearty, comforting meal guaranteed to fill you up. Stash the leftovers in the fridge for tomorrow's lunch or keep them in the freezer for a quick dinner when you're too busy to cook.
- Red Lentil Soup
- Ethiopian-Style Spinach & Lentil Soup
- Slow-Cooker Vegan Lentil Chili
- Lentil Dal with Hearty Greens
Casseroles, Curries, and Other Mains with Lentils
The versatility that comes with protein-rich lentils really can't be beat. These toothsome pulses can hold their own as the leading ingredients in everything from meatless braises to casseroles.
- Roasted Cauliflower & Lentil Bowl with Sweet Potato Hummus
- Cheesy Lentil, Mushroom & Rice Bake
- Wild Rice Bowl with Red Lentil Curry and Spinach
- Spiced Lentils with Egg
- Tomato-Braised Lentils with Broccoli Rabe
- Brown Rice Bowl with Lentils, Caramelized Onions & Fried Egg
Lentil Salads and Wraps
If veggie wraps and green salads just aren't cutting it for you, and you're ready to roll your eyes at the thought of yet another grain salad, it's time to turn to lentils. Make them the star of salads, wraps, and pita pockets and you've got a light yet wholesome meal that's totally filling.