Pasta is a generous, abundant sort of meal. The best pasta dishes feel lush, like you can't believe there's such a big bowl of deeply delicious food in front of you. You can sink a whole day into pasta — kneading, rolling, and cutting fresh dough into sheets so thin the light shines through; slowly cooking sauce redolent of garlic and browned meat; patiently layering it all together into a heavenly stack of noodles, sauce, and cheese.
But pasta can be generous in other ways, too. Pasta can feed you even when you're feeling stretched and tired.
Pasta can be fresh and simple, dressed with greens and other vegetables, tossed together in one big pan.
Here are a few of our favorite recipes in that vein — pasta and other noodles to be made just after you shrug off your coat, tossed while you relax back into an evening at home, sipping a glass of wine. This is pasta that brings you home, and feeds you when you need it most.
• 1 Creamy Lemon Pasta with Spinach and Peas
• 2 Authentic Spaghetti alla Carbonara
• 3 Broccoli and Feta Pasta Salad
• 4 Chili, Lemon, and Basil Shrimp with Israeli Couscous
• 5 Orzo Caramelized with Fall Vegetables & Ginger
• 6 Open-Faced Ravioli with Poached Egg, Wilted Greens, and Brown Butter-Lemon Sauce
• 7 Pasta with Cauliflower, Sausage, & Breadcrumbs
• 8 Roasted Garlic, Olive and Tomato Pasta Salad
• 9 Creamy No-Roux Stove Top Macaroni and Cheese
• 10 Zesty Tortellini Salad
• 11 Spaghetti with Mascarpone, Meyer Lemon, Spinach, and Hazelnuts
• 12 Pasta with Mint Pesto, Peas and Ricotta Salata
• 13 Velvety Broccoli and Feta Pasta
• 14 Soba Noodle Salad with Bok Choy
• 15 Peppery Whole Wheat Pasta with Wilted Chard
What's your favorite quick, fresh pasta recipe? What do you throw together when you want a fast dish of pasta in the evening?
(Images: See linked recipes for full image credits)