What makes a recipe "essential"? Essential recipes become our bread and butter, the dishes and meals we make again and again, season after season. Essential recipes help you out with pan-seared pork chops for Tuesday dinner and homemade ranch dressing for Wednesday salad. They are the ones that lend themselves to experimentation and adaptation, like a great yet basic chili and crispy homemade crackers. They are also the ones that we go back to when we just need a little comfort — a slice of warm banana bread or bowl of chocolate pudding.
We covered a lot of "essential" ground in 2013! Here are fifteen recipes we think you'll like having in your apron pocket.
- 1 How To Cook Tender & Juicy Pork Chops in the Oven
- 2 How To Make Basic Tomato Sauce with Fresh Tomatoes
- 3 How To Make the Best Iced Coffee
- 4 How To Make Banana Bread
- 5 How To Make Great Beef Stew from Scratch
- 6 The Perfect Tuna Salad
- 7 How To Make Great French Toast Every Time
- 8 Quick Ranch Dressing
- 9 How To Make Perfect Chocolate Pudding from Scratch
- 10 How To Make Classic Buttermilk Biscuits
- 11 Best Cut-Out Sugar Cookies
- 12 How To Make Soft & Tender Dinner Rolls
- 13 Chocolate Layer Cake
- 14 How To Make Crackers at Home
- 15 How To Make a Very Good Chili
* * *
Welcome to The Kitchn's Best of 2013 roundup!
From December 21 through January 3 we are rounding up our favorite (and your favorite) posts from the past year. We'll also share guest posts, special holiday features, and a sparkling Winter Glam Cocktail Party, the final installment in our 2013 Gatherings from The Kitchn. Happy Holidays!