Tomatillos are like a gift. Tart green fruit that's sometimes confused with an unripe tomato, wrapped in a crinkly husk. Peel the wrapping away and you're left with a world of possibility.
While tomatillos are available year round, their peak season is right now. To help you take full advantage, we're sharing 15 delicious ways to use these green gems for breakfast, lunch, dinner and happy hour!
If the first thing you think of when you see tomatillos is salsa verde, we don't blame you. Us too! Not only is it totally addicting, it's super versatile. This dip is also the perfect spread to take sandwiches to the next level and a must for enchiladas.
Don't limit tomatillos to just dip though, they're capable of so much more! They can give a standard plate of huevos rancheros a delicious facelift, add huge flavor to soup and transform a pork tenderloin.
Here are 15 ways to eat tomatillos at any time of day:
- Kale, Bacon and Egg Sandwich (add a layer of Tomatillo Salsa!)
- Huevos Rancheros With Fresh Tomatillo Sauce - Simply Gloria
- Green Shakshuka with Smoky Socca - Dolly and Oatmeal
Salsas and Dips
- Guacamole with Corn, Pasilla chiles, and Tomatillos
- Tomatillo Salsa
- Roasted Tomatillo Salsa with Chipotle and Árbol Chiles
- Chicken Posole
- Roasted Tomatillo Chicken Soup - Kitchen Confidante
- Tomatillo Pulled Chicken Sandwiches - Better Homes and Gardens
- Pork & Green Chile Stew (Chile Verde)
- Pork Tenderloin in Tomatillo Sauce
- Seared Scallops with Tomatillo Guacamole and Corn Salsa
- Butternut Squash & Mushrooms Enchiladas with Tomatillo Sauce - Pinch of Yum