We cook casseroles year-round — yes, that's right! Come spring this king of convenience goes a little lighter to take on the flavors of the season. The easiest way to do it is with spring produce; vegetables like asparagus, peas, fennel, and spinach are all fair game once they begin to show up at grocery stores and markets.
We've rounded up 15 crowd-pleasing casseroles to enjoy throughout the season, from a lighter take on macaroni and cheese made with vegetables and cottage cheese to a stovetop tuna noodle casserole made bright and wholesome with tender florets of broccoli. Don't ditch the casserole for spring — just update it!
Casseroles with Meat
Ham, canned tuna, and cubed chicken breast give spring-friendly casseroles an easy protein boost.
- Creamy Baked Orzo with Ham, Peas, and Leeks
- Chicken Pasta Bake with Spinach & Parmesan
- Stovetop Tuna Orzo Casserole with Broccoli
- Chicken & Tomato No-Boil Pasta Bake
Casseroles Without Meat
After a long winter, the arrival of spring produce is always something to celebrate, but even year-round favorites like potatoes, zucchini, and eggplant can be a welcome addition to the season when served in a lightened-up casserole.
- Creamy Spring Vegetable Gratin with Grano Padano
- Potato, Squash & Goat Cheese Gratin
- Chickpea Casserole with Lemon, Herbs & Shallots
- Lighter Baked Mac and Cheese
- Double Spinach Pasta Casserole with Pesto & Asiago Cheese
- Ina Garten's Roasted Vegetable Lasagna
Breakfast and Brunch-Friendly Casseroles
- Breakfast Polenta Squares with Spinach & Bacon
- Baked Denver Omelet
- Broccoli & Spaghetti Frittata
- Zucchini and Asparagus Strata
- Sausage, Artichoke & Goat Cheese Egg Bake
Do you have a favorite spring casserole? Share with us in the comments!