The humble potato is the canvas to many a meal. You already know it as a go-to side dish, but with a little help from some pantry staples it can be the star of a delicious and comforting, wallet-friendly meal.
From fully loaded baked potatoes to soups, chowders, casseroles, and more, here are 15 fun ways to turn potatoes into dinner.
Turn a Baked Potato into Dinner
Bake a bunch of potatoes during your weekend meal prep (take your pick between the oven, slow cooker, and microwave), and dinner will be a breeze to pull together in the middle of the week. If time is on your side, turn a few baked potatoes into a casserole. When you're watching the clock, try a twice-baked number, and when you're really in a hurry, top your baked spud with beans, greens, or any leftovers you have handy.
- The Best Twice-Baked Potato
- Loaded Baked Potato Casserole
- Cheesy Southwestern Twice-Baked Potatoes with Beans & Corn
- Savory Stuffed Sweet Potatoes with White Beans and Kale
- Baked Potato Shakshuka
A Pot of Potato Soup
Keep this lineup of potato soups in your meal plan rotation for the rest of winter and beyond, because they check all the boxes. You can expect a hearty and comforting meal that's simple and quick to pull together, and easy on the wallet.
- 5-Ingredient Family-Friendly Baked Potato Soup
- Lemon Potato Chowder
- Red Lentil Sweet Potato Soup
- Vegan Sweet Potato Chowder
- Baked Potato Soup With Bacon, Scallions & Cheddar
More Ways to Eat Potatoes
Look at all the things the humble potato can do. When you want to change it up, family-friendly fajitas, skillet dinners, and potato cakes are the way to go.
- Sweet Potato Fajitas
- Fried Potatoes and Sausage Skillet
- Sweet Potato-Chickpea Patties with Sriracha-Yogurt Dip
- Jalapeño Popper Potato Skins
- Cheesy Hash Brown Breakfast Casserole