You may think that we're emerging from casserole season — all those pans of bubbling cheese and pasta, creamy and filling, seem to belong squarely to wintertime. Casseroles are the dishes that keep you warm when an extra pair of socks just doesn't do the trick. But casseroles can be so much more than that — they can take you right into spring with their easy, one-dish approach.
These 12 casserole recipes are the lighter, healthier versions of their cold-weather counterparts – piled with vegetables, lightened and freshened up for spring, but wholly comforting and delicious.
As it gets warmer, fill your freezer or fridge with these make-ahead casseroles so you can enjoy being outside whenever possible. From a breakfast casserole with spaghetti squash and broccoli, to a lighter version of your favorite mac and cheese, stock up, pop one in the oven, and enjoy something delicious whenever you want.
12 Lighter & Healthier Casseroles
What are your favorite lighter casseroles for warmer months? Here are a few we're enjoying right now.
- Breakfast Polenta Squares with Spinach & Bacon
- Broccoli & Spaghetti Frittata
- Sausage, Artichoke & Goat Cheese Egg Bake
- Chickpea Casserole with Lemon, Herbs & Shallots
- Potato, Squash & Goat Cheese Gratin
- Tomato, Broccoli & Mozzarella Pasta Casserole
- Lighter Baked Macaroni & Cheese with Spinach & Red Peppers
- Goat Cheese and Swiss Chard Pasta Casserole
Casseroles with Meat
- Chicken Pasta Bake with Spinach & Parmesan
- Cauliflower & Chicken Sausage Casserole
- Chicken & Tomato No-Boil Pasta Bake
- Double Spinach Pasta Casserole with Pesto & Asiago Cheese