10 Vegan Breakfast Ideas
Whether you’re a committed vegan or just trying to eat lighter and healthier with less meat, eggs, and dairy, you don’t have to worry about going hungry – or lacking flavor. In this roundup of vegan breakfast ideas and recipes, we’ve got everything from sweet breakfast bars to savory tempeh bacon, plus a book recommendation.
1. Breakfast bars: With a little advance planning, you can have breakfast bars to fuel you throughout the week. We’re bookmarking these coconut, pumpkin seed, and almond Gluten-Free Breakfast Bars from Elana’s Pantry, as well as these Crispy Breakfast Bars with puffed cereal and dried fruit from Vegetarian Times.
6. Rice: Rice is a common breakfast ingredient in many Asian cultures. We like the idea of going healthier with brown rice, and simmering it with apple juice or rice milk for a sweet porridge or pudding like this recipe from Choose Veg.
7. Scrambled tofu: An endlessly adaptable favorite. Crumble up some tofu (silken, firm, extra-firm, whatever you prefer; just press and drain it if it’s packed in water) and sauté it with herbs, spices, or vegetables. Stay tuned for a recipe later this week!
8. Sweet potatoes: A simple baked sweet potato is so satisfying and nutritious (and portable for those on the go!). You can also dress it up with maple syrup and nuts like this Sweet Morning Potato recipe (omit the yogurt or use soy yogurt).
9. Tempeh bacon: We know, real-bacon lovers will tell you this doesn’t come close, so just appreciate it for its own merits. Here’s a recipe for nutty, smoky Tempeh Bacon from Vegetarian Times.
Let’s not stop at 10 — share your own vegan breakfast ideas in the comments!
Related: What Should I Make for a Vegetarian or Vegan Brunch?
(Originally published April 7, 2010)