There's a reason many interior designers employ the use of yellow in the kitchen: It's a color that makes you happy and puts a smile on your face. (A fact that's not lost on Pantone, which declared "Buttercup Yellow" amongst its top colors of 2016.) So if your summer plans have been rained out, we've gathered 10 objects that are sure to keep you in sunny spirits — no matter the weather!
1. Hay Kaleido Tray, $25 at Danish Design Store: Hay's series of steel trays come in an array of colors and are easily stacked, thanks to their geometric shapes. We like to use these to keep all of summer's bounty right in our line of sight — although, how likely is it that we'll forget those freshly plucked peaches?
2. Lemon Curd, $7.95 at Stonewall Kitchen: One cannot speak of the color yellow and neglect to mention our favorite citrus: the lemon. Lemon curd, a classic British treat, is delicious when spread on scones or biscuits for your afternoon tea, and its tartness will perk you right up.
3. Haws Indoor Watering Can, $16.33 at Amazon: You might not be tending your garden patch during a torrential downpour, but this yellow indoor watering can by Haws will make sure your kitchen herbs, tomatoes, and flowers readily bloom all summer long.
4. Pulltap Corkscrew, $9 at Oenophilia: Think of the many bottles of rosé you'll be consuming this summer. Wouldn't you rather open them in style? The classic Pulltap corkscrew will help you slide that cork right out, enabling you to enjoy a glass of crisp wine even quicker.
5. Nuori Lip Treat, $29 at Need Supply Co.: Not only does Nuori's lip balm come in gorgeous (buttercup yellow!) minimalist packaging, but its ingredient list also includes almond and apricot oil, as well as avocado, shea, and cocoa butter to help hydrate, nourish, and soften dry lips.
6. Mixing Bowls, $29.95 at Williams-Sonoma: These mixing bowls are a staple in our kitchen. We use them to quickly toss together a salad, but they work equally well as a vessel for cookie dough. The bowls come equipped with a handy contoured spout and a rubber ring to keep 'em sturdy during vigorous stirs.
7. Citrus Print, $48 at Julie's Kitchen: Julie, of Julie's Kitchen fame, has got an eye for compositions. This gorgeous print is filled to the brim with joyful citrus and will surely brighten up your kitchen. In case it makes you thirsty, see below.
8. Alex's Lemonade Stand Citrus Juicer, $19.99 at Proctor Silex: Make your own fresh-pressed orange juice or stir together a pitcher of lemonade. Proctor Silex's model extracts more liquid than your average juicer, so gather your citrus and start a-juicing!
9. Organic Turmeric Powder, $5.95 at Pure Indian Foods: No modern kitchen should be without turmeric. Use it in Heidi Swanson's turmeric tea, add it to your smoothies for a golden-hued boost, or stir it into a curry base.
10. Washi Tape, $3.49 at Staples: We use Washi tape for everything from temporarily framing special pictures to hanging recipes so they're easily followed while cooking to decorating our date books. It's a true multi-purpose item for the everyday.
How do you brighten up your kitchen?