From Memorial Day to Labor Day, basil is constantly on hand in our kitchens. It's hard to find a summer dish that isn't improved by a handful of this bright, fragrant herb. If you're in need of a few new ideas to trim back an enormous pot or use up that second bunch you couldn't resist buying, take a look through these 12 great recipes for inspiration.
Easy and Seasonal Dinners
Take any one of your favorite summertime dinners, and there is a place for basil, even if it's not already in the recipe. Basil can be used to jazz up everything from pasta and risotto to stir-fries and pork chops.
- Creamy Corn and Basil Orzotto
- One-Pan Basil-Plum Pork Chops
- Pesto Chicken Tart
- Eggplant Caponata Sandwiches with Mozzarella and Basil
- Squash, Bacon, and Goat Cheese Pasta with Basil
- Quick and Easy Basil Beef
Other Great Ways to Use Basil
If you have a monster haul of basil, the top way to use it all up is definitely pesto. This blend of basil, garlic, nuts, cheese, and olive oil is one of the most versatile condiments around. If you have some left over at the end of the week, pesto will freeze beautifully for months when sweet basil is less abundant.
You truly can't go wrong with a batch of Strawberry-Basil Margaritas; they're a guaranteed party win. We also just love the sweet and savory two-punch combo of pairing whole leaves of basil with summer fruit — a favorite dish this time of year.
- How to Make the Best Pesto: The Easiest, Simplest Method
- Cantaloupe Salad with Basil, Fresh Mozzarella, and Onions
- Succotash Salad
- Bacon and Basil-Wrapped Corn
- Savory Tomato-Basil Morning Muffins
- Strawberry-Basil Margaritas
Is basil the top herb in your kitchen right now? What are your favorite ways to use it all up?