10 of Our Favorite Storage Containers for Your Leftovers
This time of year, leftovers tend to dominate your fridge more than usual. The holidays are partly to blame (why did you make so much stuffing?). Ditto the weather (when it’s cold, we tend to cook in batches rather than sensible portions). Stews, soups, and giant holiday dinners all produce massive amounts of food for tomorrow — and the days after.
Before you surrender your fridge to stacks of poorly wrapped dishes and cheap, flimsy plastic tubs, invest in some nice storage containers. They’ll keep your fridge organized (which helps you prioritize what leftovers need to be eaten first), and they’ll keep leftovers fresher for longer. Check out 10 of our favorites.
- Pyrex 18-Piece Storage Set, $29 at Target: The OG of storage sets, Pyrex containers have been coveted in kitchens for decades. This 18-piece set comes with containers in various sizes for different kinds of leftovers, and the signature brightly colored lids make them easy to find in a crowded fridge.
- 12-Piece Enamel Bowl Set, $38 at Houzz: Go from prepping to serving to storing in a flash with this versatile enamel bowl set, which comes with snug-fitting lids that will keep everything fresh in the fridge and the freezer.
- 5-Piece Vintage Flower Storage Bowl Set, $38 at Fishs Eddy: Get a major blast from the past with this set that looks exactly like something out of your grandma’s kitchen.
- ProGlass 10-Piece Storage Set, $20 at Bed Bath and Beyond: Coming in a variety of sizes, this sturdy glass storage set features lids with airtight seals and snap closures that help prevent leaks.
- Food Dial Storage Containers, from $8 at Joseph Joseph: Sometimes it’s hard to remember just how old your leftovers are, which typically results in you trashing them just to be safe. Waste food no longer with these containers — they allow you to input the date you cooked the container’s contents right on the lid.
- OXO 12-Piece Lock-Top Container Set, $30: While we love glass containers, they’re not the easiest to cart around to potluck parties or to the office for lunch, so if you’re the food-on-the-go type, this lock-top container set — made from BPA-free plastic — is for you.
- Seal Cup Storage Container Trio, $30 at Eco Lunchbox: Another alternative to glass containers, this set of stainless steel containers — with colorful silicone lids — is great for storage. Bonus: They’re oven-safe, so they can go right from the stove to the table to the fridge for storage in a snap.
- Happy Jackson Snack Box Set, $11 for four at Temptation Gifts: On day two or three of eating leftovers, things can get kind of boring, but you can brighten things up with this cheery set. The containers are all different sizes and emblazoned with cute phrases like “Yay Leftovers,” “Picky Things,” and “Snacktastic.”
- Nest Storage Set, from $25 at Joseph Joseph: Unlike other storage containers that can take up a ton of cabinet space when not in use, this set (choose from eight, 10, or 12 pieces) features different-sized containers that nest together perfectly, taking up a minimal amount of space in your kitchen.
- 12-Piece Cuisinart SmarTrack Food Storage Containers, $48 at ATG Stores: While this set of storage containers looks run-of-the-mill, it’s actually pretty high-tech. The containers are outfitted with a QR code that pairs with a companion app, allowing you to log your food and get alerts when your food is about to expire.