One-Pot Meatless Meals: 10 Hearty Vegetarian Soups
A comforting, stick-to-your-ribs soup doesn’t have to include meat. These 10 recipes use additions like beans, hominy, pasta, and even Korean rice cakes to make satisfying soups that won’t weigh you down.
• 1 Pumpkin Tortilla Soup: Pumpkin, chunks of avocado and tortilla strips add texture and richness to this vegan, soy-free soup.
• 2 Vegetarian Pho (Vietnamese Noodle Soup): An aromatic, restorative soup.
• 3 Vegetarian Posole: This traditional hominy soup is bright with lime juice and can be made as spicy as you like.
• 4 Vegetarian Dduk Gook (Korean Rice Cake Soup): A vegetarian take on a traditional Korean New Year’s soup, featuring rice cakes that are chewy, filling, and comforting.
• 5 Curried Vegetable and Chickpea Stew: A hands-off recipe that transforms humble, inexpensive ingredients into a stew that gets nothing but rave reviews in the comments.
• 6 Lively Up Yourself Lentil Soup at 101 Cookbooks: Lentils and leafy greens will cure whatever ails you.
• 7 Minestrone Soup at Food 52: This bright, vegetable-packed minestrone is what all those insipid canned versions dream about being someday.
• 8 Chickpea and noodle soup with Persian herbs at the LA Times: The combination of noodles and chickpeas is hearty, and topping the soup with yogurt and fresh herbs keeps it from being too heavy.
• 9 Black Bean Soup with Chipotle and Toasted Cumin Seed Crème Fraîche at Smitten Kitchen: The toasty topping sets this version of black bean soup apart.
• 10 Miso Stew at Gourmet: This unusual stew combines a variety of nutritious sea vegetables with quinoa.
Are there any hearty vegetarian soups recipes you recommend?
(Images: See linked Kitchn posts for full images credits; 101 Cookbooks; Food 52/Sarah Shatz; LA Times/Glenn Koenig; Smitten Kitchen; Gourmet/Romulo Yanes)