10 Gifts for the Budding Baker
For anyone who’s ever dreamed of making French madeleines or a 3-layer chocolate cake, who’s imagined a cupboard full of cookie cutters and cake pans and a home that always smells sweet — this is the gift guide for them. From a must-have kitchen scale to a gorgeous cake stand, these gifts will both help and inspire the budding baker in your life.
- 1 KitchenAid 11-Wire Whip, $18.95 from Amazon: The mixer attachment they didn’t know they needed. A huge improvement over KitchenAid’s standard whip. (Read our review of it here.)
- 2 Mosser Glass 3-Piece Mixing Bowl Set, $75 from Dry Goods: Strong, beautiful pressed glass bowls made in Ohio.
- 3 Mauviel M’Passion Canele Mold, $29.95 from Amazon: An essential for making these decadent French treats.
- 4 OXO Good Grips Stainless Steel Food Scale with Pull-Out Display, $49.95 from Amazon: A favorite of famed baker and blogger (and friend of The Kitchn) David Lebovitz. Faith also has the 22-pound version and loves it.
- 5 Jadeite 10″ Cake Stand, $79.95 from Fishs Eddy: A beautiful cake stand to show off their baking skills.
- 6 Valrhona Grand Cru Guanaja 70% Chocolate Fèves, $35.99 for 2.2 lbs from World Wide Chocolate: The baking chocolate choice of professionals for the best cookies, cakes and more. (And the secret ingredient of the best chocolate chip cookies.)
- 7 Dough Whisk, $16.95 from King Arthur Flour: Looks like a fairy wand; works the dough like magic.
- 8 French Tapered Rolling Pin, $14.95 from Williams-Sonoma: A classic tool for a great pastry-chef-in-the-making.
- 9 Giant Snowflake Copper Cookie Cutter, $12.95 from Willams-Sonoma: Who doesn’t want a huge snowflake cookie around the holidays? Fun and whimsical.
- 10 Frieling Layer Cake Slicing Kit, $59.95 from CHEFS Catalog: No more uneven layers! Cuts precisely so every layer of the cake is even for perfect filling and frosting.
This year, The Kitchn and Apartment Therapy aren’t just sharing great ideas in our gift guides, we’re giving away $1,000 to help one lucky reader purchase presents for their friends and family! Through Friday, December 13th, we’ll publish new gift guides each day on both sites while collecting entries in the sweepstakes. (See Official Rules for details. One entry per reader, please.) Enter below for a chance to receive a bit of extra help from us this holiday season — we want it to be your best and brightest yet!
And we’re not done. Starting on Monday, December 16, The Kitchn and Apartment Therapy editors have lined up ten absolutely unbelievable items (really, you won’t believe how great they are!) for our big, blowout week-long Holiday Giveaway 2013. To be notified on when and how to enter to win these super-special gifts, sign up for our giveaway email today, and you won’t miss a single one.