10 Gifts for Enthusiastic Bread Bakers
As any home bread baker will tell you, bread baking is a passionate pursuit. For those who’ve committed to the practice, there’s really no end to the learning. And thankfully for the rest of us, it’s just that fact that makes buying a gift for a bread baker so much fun!
It doesn’t matter if your beloved bread maker is just starting out or has been making loaves for years; there is always something she can use to improve or inform her technique or take her skills to the next level. With that in mind, here are our 10 gift picks for the enthusiastic bread baker in your life.
- Jovial Einkorn Kneading Tool, $19.99 from Jovial: The Kitchn’s Assistant Food Editor, Kelli, loves this tool for baking bread. “It’s so perfect for scraping and cutting,” she says.
- Romertopf Round Clay Baker, $64 from Breadtopia: No bread oven? Give the next-best thing with this German-made clay baker. The steam it creates gives bread that desired crackly golden crust.
- Original San Francisco Sourdough Culture, $15 from Ed Wood: Expand their sourdough repertoire with a new culture, like this authentic San Francisco culture made of wild yeasts Candida humilis and the bacteria classified as Lactobacillus sanfrancisco, which have been specifically identified as being unique to the San Francisco region. Or pick a culture from any of these other regions around the world!
- NutriMill Classic Grain Mill, $219 from Amazon: Give them a way to grind their own flour for truly hands-on bread baking.
- Artisan Bread Making with Peter Reinhart Online Class, $29.99 from Craftsy: In this 10-video online class series, bread maker extraordinaire Peter Reinhart shows how to measure, mix, proof, and bake six different types of bread. The video lessons are also downloadable, so you can re-watch them whenever you need a refresher!
- In Search of the Perfect Loaf: A Home Baker’s Odyssey by Samuel Fromartz, $12 from Amazon: Anyone who’s ever tried to make bread at home will love Samuel Fromartz’s entertaining, informative deep-dive into bread and bread making. Chad Robertson of San Francisco’s Tartine Bakery called it “a wonderful read that’s filled with information that even the most knowledgable baker will find fascinating.”
- Spring Meadow Bread Warmer and Basket, $24 from Breadtopia: This terra cotta warmer keeps freshly baked bread toasty-warm, and it’s pretty to boot.
- Kneading Board, $87 from Amazon: A helpful, durable tool for all those hours of kneading! Because it can sit snugly on the countertop or stovetop, and is hung on its side, it works in even the smallest of kitchens.
- Bread Lame, $9.95 from Amazon: Cook’s Illustrated rated Breadtopia’s bread lame as the best tool for scoring bread. It’s sharp and easy to maneuver, and comes with five blades.
- Brotform and Liner Set, $32.50 from King Arthur Flour: As your dough rises, this brotform basket will give it that signature floury ring pattern.