10 Gifts for a Coffee Geek in the Making
There are people who like coffee, and then there are people who like-like coffee, for whom coffee is an experience, an adventure, a whole realm of possibility just waiting to be explored. If you have a budding barista on your holiday list, this gift guide is for them. It features 10 things that’ll significantly up their standing in the coffee geek realm, with French press and pour-over essentials like a burr grinder, ceramic filter, and a gooseneck kettle for precise pouring.
- 1 Aeropress Coffee Maker, $18 from ThinkGeek: The first step for any coffee lover looking to hit the next level. The Aeropress is cheap, but it makes a terrific cup of coffee.
- 2 Tonx Coffee Subscription, $12 to $34 per month: Tonx sources the best coffee beans in the world, roasts them, and then ships them out a few days later. These guys know their stuff: each bag of beans comes with a card detailing its origin and flavor profile.
- 3 Frieling French Press, $79.95 from Seattle Coffee Gear: A sleek step up from the traditional glass French press, this stainless steel version is insulated to keep coffee hotter for longer.
- 4 Chemex 8-Cup Coffeemaker, $38.95 from Crate & Barrel: Makes a superb cup of coffee and is good-looking enough to keep out on the counter. A true classic.
- 5 Hario Coffee Drip Scale and Timer, $47 from Amazon: Measuring out coffee beans is crucial, particularly if you’re doing the pour-over method. This scale also includes a drip timer so you get it just right.
- 6 Pour Over Kettle, $70 from Old Faithful Shop: A stunning kettle that, like the Chemex, is pretty enough to keep on display when you’re not using it. The gooseneck spout is what you want for control and precision.
- 7 Bonavita Variable Temp Digital Electric Gooseneck Kettle, $95 from Amazon: The kettle for coffee lovers who don’t have time to wait for water to boil on the stove!
- 8 Impress Coffee Press, $39.95 from Designbox: A brew-one-cup-at-a-time-then-take-it-to-go coffee maker —all in one handy device.
- 9 Bee House Ceramic Coffee Dripper, $17 from Sweet Maria’s: My favorite ceramic filter, made with two drip holes to regulate coffee extraction (not too fast or too slow).
- 10 Baratza Encore Conical Burr Grinder, $129 from Whole Latte Love: Great coffee starts with the grind. This is a well-reviewed all-around home grinder that works for a variety of home brew methods, with 40 individual grind settings from coarse to very fine.
This year, The Kitchn and Apartment Therapy aren’t just sharing great ideas in our gift guides, we’re giving away $1,000 to help one lucky reader purchase presents for their friends and family! Through Friday, December 13th, we’ll publish new gift guides each day on both sites while collecting entries in the sweepstakes. (See Official Rules for details. One entry per reader, please.) Enter below for a chance to receive a bit of extra help from us this holiday season — we want it to be your best and brightest yet!
And we’re not done. Starting on Monday, December 16, The Kitchn and Apartment Therapy editors have lined up ten absolutely unbelievable items (really, you won’t believe how great they are!) for our big, blowout week-long Holiday Giveaway 2013. To be notified on when and how to enter to win these super-special gifts, sign up for our giveaway email today, and you won’t miss a single one.