10 DIY Kits for the Hands-On Chef
For the person who always wants to know how things work, consider a hands-on holiday gift. These kits for making everything from kimchi to kefir and bacon to butter will let them sate both their curiosity and appetite.
Plus, if you’re lucky, they’ll share their results!
- Mozzarella & Ricotta DIY Cheese Kit, $25 from Etsy: Just add milk! This kit lets one lucky cheesophile make up to eight batches.
- Hot Sauce Making Kit, $25 from Grow & Make: Spice up your life with this kit that lets you make three signature sauces.
- Bacon Making Kit, $40 from Williams-Sonoma: Because you will officially be the coolest if you serve home-cured bacon at your next brunch.
- Premium Kimchi Kit, $45 from Mama O’s: Fermentation is the skill to master in 2015.
- Hard Cider Kit, $40 from Brooklyn Brew Shop: Hard cider is the perfect way to get someone curious about home brewing totally hooked on the hobby. It’s easy, inexpensive, and dependably delicious.
- DIY Butter Kit, $25 from Uncommon Goods: Use the spices in the kit or mix up your own combination to make delicious compound butters.
- Make Your Own Bitters, $48 from Provisions: Happy hour is so much fancier when you add your own house bitters to the mix.
- Homemade Gin Kit, $50 from Homemade Gin Kit: Use this kit to infuse vodka with gin botanicals to create your own special blend.
- Kombucha Kit, $60 from Kombucha Brooklyn: The Kombucha Man knows his stuff. This is THE KIT to get your kombucha-addicted friends.
- Milk Kefir Starter Kit, $24 from Cultures of Health: Make your own probiotic drink and find the flavor that’s perfect for you. You can even use coconut, soy, or rice milk in place of dairy.