After visiting a za'atar farm in Lebanon and bringing home a couple bags of the tangy, herbaceous spice blend, I'm inspired to start using it more in my cooking. Luckily, I'm not the first to fall in love with this Middle Eastern spice, so it isn't hard to find tons of great recipes that use za'atar in unusual and tasty ways. From za'atar-rubbed roasted chicken to Yotam Ottolenghi's roasted butternut squash with za'atar, here are nine recipes that use this intriguing spice.
Za'atar and Pomegranate Roasted Chicken at Sips and Spoonfuls
- 1 Flatbread Recipe: Manakish Zaatar at The Kitchn
- 2 Za'atar and Pomegranate Roasted Chicken at Sips and Spoonfuls
- 3 Chickpea Za'atar Salad at Green Kitchen Stories
- 4 Baked Za'atar Eggplant Fries with Lemon Tahini Dip at The Kitchn
- 5 Vegan Party (or Anytime!) Snack: Za'atar Popcorn at The Kitchn
- 6 Sweet Potato Soup with Feta and Za'atar Oil at Food52
- 7 Yotam Ottolenghi's Roasted Butternut Squash and Red Onion with Tahini and Za'atar at Bon Appétit
- 8 Snack Recipe: Za'atar Pita Chips with Yogurt Dip at The Kitchn
- 9 Fattoush Salad with Zaatar Baked Pita Crisps at The Gouda Life
If you can't find za'atar near you or want to try your hand at making your own version of the spice blend, take a look at these instructions:
How do you like to use za'atar?